View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi kompose,

If you had a full mouth series of x-rays one year ago, this is 18-20 small dental x-rays and not less, then he may only need to take 4 new bite wing x-rays now. Please be certain that it is a full series and not just a mini series of 6-12 xrays as that is not adequate. Also, the small periapical x-rays and bite wings are more diagnostic for detecting cavities than a panoramic x-ray. Just so you know.

If you have had a scaling and root planing in the past, then this indicates that you build up a lot of calculus and it would behoove you to have your teeth cleaned at least twice a year to prevent that build up from happening. When calculus builds up along and below the gum line, bacteria adheres itself to the calculus which can result in root decay, gum disease and permanent bone loss.

Professional cleanings with a hygienist does not remove enamel from the teeth or damage the teeth in any way. Bacteria from plaque and calculus is what causes the enamel to erode resulting in decay and infection.

The explorer instrument cannot penetrate or remove hard enamel from the teeth. It can penetrate decayed or soft enamel. So you may have a cavity or the beginnings of a cavity where you see that hole or line on your front tooth.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kompose29 View Post
Hello thank you for answering,

Actually you do make sense. I'll call the dentist to schedule a full xray examination. I asked him to do one when I went for tooth extraction but he said he would just use the one from last year. I found that weird to begin. He said he will just take more xrays on the day I go for dental cleaning. But I'll be insisting for one when I call.

Yes the only time I actually went to the dentist for any other thing was back in 2005 when I had done a certain procedure where the dentist goes under the gum lines to clean the tartar. I did some google research now and found out it was called: Scaling and root planing.

I would like to ask you though and I know it will sound dumb but is tooth cleaning good for the teeth on the long run? To be brutally honest, the only reason to why I've never had it done and opted for home hygiene instead was because I've heard that the dental cleaning done by dentists usually ruin the enamel of the teeth. This same dentist that extracted my tooth and who i went to visit for the xrays one year ago, used the xplorer to examine my teeth and i can tell you i've noticed a scratched mark on one of my front teeth. It's not exactly a hole but i think the xplorer did poke something on this one tooth and in between the front teeth because I've only noticed that about a week after my dentist visit.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote