View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 03:44 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

In my experience, I would not call these disassociative episodes. I would call them 'loss of focus.' Going down the ladder, you lost focus on need to be aware of where the last rung was. I have done this many times. Usually only one rung to high so no serious issue. The TV situation could be, You brain has lost focus on what you are watching and is distracted. Think of it as a loss of continuity. Maintaining continuity is often a challenge with PCS. Your brain goes from following the program to 'I wonder what is on TV.'

At the drive through, you have your choice in mind but as you start to speak it, your brain sees the other things on the menu and erroneously substitutes something else. There is a neuro psych test that tests this. I think it is the Stroop Test. They show you the names of colors in varying colors. You need to either say the color or say what the word says. It can be difficult to say purple when the word is 'yellow' in purple print or the word is 'purple' in yellow print. I think it is a test of executive functioning.

The idea is to see how well your brain handles conflicting images.

Once you understand what is happening and you have accepted it as a real symptom of your injury, you should be able to develop coping mechanisms. Ignoring these 'brain farts' will likely cause them to continue to be repeated. Acknowledging them will give you pause when the situation arises so you can use your work-arounds or coping mechanisms. The drive thru could be handled by not looking at the menu as you place your order.

I have not found a work-around for the ladder issue. I think it may be made worse by visual perception weaknesses.

Oh yeah, part of the TV remote thing is just a guy thing. For some reason, guys tend to channel surf when they lose focus. Women complain about us doing this all the time.

My best to you.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote