View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

When I have had these events, I have tried to look back to what I was consciously doing during or prior to the event. Often, I let my mind get side-tracked into another train of though. The challenge we face is the PCS brain does not multi-task very well, if at all. In the past, we could have the primary activity in mind and add another thought without 'dumping' the primary thought. We could then easily switch between the primary though and the secondary thought.

Instead, now we use the same thought patterns of being able to mutlitask in our mind and when we take on the second thought, the primary thought completely disappears. Sometimes, we can resurrect that primary thought but other times, it is lost and will require a focused restart to get back on that primary train of thought.

Sometimes, it is something as simple as subconsciously climbing down a ladder that gets interrupted with 'I need to get the putty knife to scrape the pealing paint.' and voila' , we are no longer subconsciously following our progress as we climb down the ladder.

These events can be made more problematic by fatigue or sensory stimulations and distractions.

I have learned that there are some things I just do not do unless my brain is at the top of its game. I have learned to grade how well my brain is functioning so I have a better idea of when I can take on specific tasks.

For example, I would never try to order at the drive thru window with the radio on or with somebody talking in the car. I can almost guaranty I will mess up the order or get frustrated trying to keep things straight.

The important lesson in this regard is the brain is not designed for multi-tasking. Science shows that multi-tasking is stressful on the brain. When we learn to reduce our tendency to multi-task, these events will become less.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lawyer1732 (04-20-2015)