View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 03:57 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I agree completely with the not pushing him, this has been my concern all along. Thankfully his school has been nothing but understanding and cooperative. Yes, he had bad headaches from the very beginning. He continues to have headaches as well as episodes if being in a fog. The neurologist he has been seeing is the most qualified in our direct area for concussion management, however his focus tends to be more for sports injury concussion and getting his patients back in to their game . . . we have been very clear with him that as much as my son wants to be on the ballfield this time of year, that is not our focus and truly is the least of our concerns. The Neuro Psychologist plans on contacting his college to make sure we are aware of all resources available for him.
Thank you for your suggestions and for sharing your experience with me. Hopefully we can get him on the right track and eventually more stable than he is at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
The NeuroPsych Assessment will be very important toward understanding his capabilities. Personally, I disagree with pushing him just because he is about to graduate. I suggest he consider a reduced class load next year. He needs time to learn how to learn. He has never really had to work to learn. I understand that personally. I had the same experience. I had to relearn how to learn with my damaged brain. Learning to study when you never had to before is quite a challenge. I went from straight A's my freshman year to struggling for B's my sophomore year. I did much better my junior year but still struggled.

He may eventually recover his prior capabilities but until then, he needs to go slower and allow time for his brain to continue healing in a low stress environment. He should check out the disabilities office at his college and see what help they have for him.

As an inspiration, as a junior, I scored 650 on the math SAT. 6 months later, I took the SAT again and scored 700 on the math. I had not taken a math course since my sophomore year but improved 50 points. Back in 1972, there was no such thing as SAT prep courses. ( I was taking junior year honors Algebra II as a sophomore) At 43 years old, I almost aced the Math SAT (790). My son took it in a year where he received a copy of the test with the answer key with his score.

So, with time, he can improve but not necessarily at the speed expected by school and such.

I would not be concerned about the old blood. There is nothing that can be done now. I doubt there is any need to try to get it to absorb faster.

What were his symptoms in the first week or so after his injury ? Did he have bad head aches ?
MammaMia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote