View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Frown Son with PCS & knows everything - help?!

My 25yr old son with PCS (3 mo.) reminds me of me at that age -- at 25, you believe that you know everything and that no one else (especially a parent or other older person) could possibly contribute anything of value to your life.

I have read posts from parents who despair that their young adult children with PCS will not listen or take advice and end up having a driving accident; and posts from people who say, "Do not depend on the person with PCS to be the best judge of his/her condition!"

But what can you do when the know-it-all 25yr old says, "You have no idea what I need! I do not need a Personal Injury Plan [actually required by our legislation!] or a Chronic Condition Management Plan [covers costs for long-term access to a multi-disciplinary care team]. You are just making me feel upset and like I need a cone [marijuana]!"

So we have a smart, injured young man whose condition means that he (a) resists information and advice and (b) is very adept at blaming others for his poor choices and unhelpful addictions.

Would love to hear from other parents who have successfully navigated this situation.
KarinaM. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote