View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 12:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My PN is "Small Fiber Painful Sensory Peripheral Neuropathy with constant moderate to severe pain, etiology unknown (idiopathic)". I was diagnosed over 20 years ago and despite the gazillion tests that have been done thru the years - a cause could never be found...including diabetes or pre-diabetes! I know there is a train of thought that feels all idiopathic PN must surely be caused by diabetes or at least be pre-diabetic. Well, I'm 75 years old and I'm tested yearly for diabetes and it still remains negative.
Now I no longer care what the cause is and my doc and I concentrate on pain management and we have succeeded in achieving very good results with the Fentanyl Transdermal System (the generic Duragesic Patch). I'm using one 100 strength patch and one 25 strength patch and changing them every 48 hours and my untreated 7 to 9+ pain is at the 2 to 4 level which I hardly notice anymore.
I remain hopeful that in my lifetime a cure will be found. General research continues but I think our best hope lies in stem cell research. Maybe someday enough of the "powers that be" will be afflicted with some of these dastardly conditions so that a change in attitude might be forthcoming....but....don't hold your breath.

DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote