View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sometimes, even many times, you are helpless to help them. I have three adult children under 33. We live with the condition. Today's young adult culture seems to make this even worse. His condition makes him even more likely to exhibit this stubborn behavior.

To paraphrase an old cliche'. How many parents does it take to change an adult child's mind ? Only one, but the adult child needs to be willing to change.

If his driving is a risk, can the authorities require he take a driving test for the brain injured to rate his risk level. There are a series of tests commonly used to rate someone's ability to handle the tasks of driving. They test reaction time, peripheral vision, executive functioning, distractability, hand to eye coordination and other motor skills. His driving license/permit can be suspended. His car keys can be taken away.

A night in jail/lock-up may cause him to ask for help, especially if a judge puts him on probation as a condition of release.

In his state, he runs a very high risk of running afoul of the law. In North American, studies show that 60 to 80% of incarcerated individuals show evidence of a brain injury. The behaviors that follow a brain injury can cause lots of trouble.

It can be a miserable existence as we as parents endure the stress of our stubborn adult children. Been there, doing that. Been told that all her problems are my fault but she refuses to talk to me about them.

And parents of teenagers thing life can be tough ......
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KarinaM. (04-21-2015)