View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Chemar,
First, don't panic. This situation is far more common than people realize. Even if a root of a tooth were not in the sinus cavity, but an infection from a tooth had spread to the sinus, there would be a perforation in the sinus membrane. A sinus infection can also perforate the sinus membrane and infect the oral cavity.

A radiograph only shows a two dimensional picture of the tooth and a skewed version of it's location near or in the sinus. The only way to tell how far it actually is into the sinus, is during the extraction.

I emphasize this heavily............ The main thing here is to have a dentist who is comfortable and very familiar with extracting teeth like this. Do not hesitate to ask how often your particular dentist deals with this situation. When it is done by someone who has alot of experience with sinus exposures and you faithfully follow their post operative instructions.... the chances of post op complications are bascially non existent.

During all extractions (especially if the tooth is infected or previously had a root canal) ........ it is imperative that the surgeon thoroughly debride the tooth socket removing the periodontal ligament and then irrigate the area with copious amounts of saline. Depending on the size and location of the sinus perforation, sometimes the sinus needs to be closed surgically and sometimes it doesn't.

Again........ an experienced surgeon and your strict compliance with post operative instructions will minimize post op complications drastically!

I hope this information was helpful to you. Feel free to ask any questions that are concerning you and I'll see if I can help. Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Bryanna

ps....... just a gentle word of advice...... be careful not to let anyone's negative experience influence your already heightened anxiety. Most people who have post op complications following this type of dental surgery: either had an incompetent surgeon; had not prepared themselves for the surgery and/or did not follow post op instructions. ~'.'~
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-05-2012)