View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunaboy View Post
I've read for some people, such treatment has reversed the PN or made it go into remission. My first neuro recommended Prednisone but after doing more research on the horrible side effects, I passed. But now i'm wondering if I made a mistake and should have taken it when my symptoms were mild. Can immunsuppressants allow the body to heal quicker?
Tunaboy
Speaking as someone who is on 3 different steroids (maintenance doses) for managing an autoimmune condition, they have made no improvement to my PN - including a spell of very high doses last Oct during surgery.

However that said I think it very much depends on what type of PN you have and what caused it. Steroids may be temporarily effective for some types. That's why getting as definitive diagnosis as possible is important. The long term effects of steroids are nasty and their use for PN should only be considered when all other options have been exhausted.

Thanks JoannaP79 for the article link - I haven't read it all yet but it looks to be one of the most comprehensive I've seen so far and deserves a more thorough perusal.
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote