View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 12:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused Seeking advice on how to communicate to others what I'm going through

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and very happy to have found it. Such a wealth of information that I can relate to! I'm very thankful.

I suffered a concussion 5 weeks ago now and it has been a bad rollercoaster of a ride ever since. My injury occurred at a party when I was spontaneously picked up from under the knees and toppled over backwards more than 7ft hitting the back of my head. I had bad appraisals for the first week and pushed through which had negative affects the next week. Then I improved largely for a week but then declined again (despite trying to do all the right things).

All the up, down, up, down after this relatively short but confusing period has peaked anxiety and emotional instability in me tenfold. I now understand this is a common stage and symptom, but getting others closest in my life to understand this and the habits of PCS in general is the problem I feel I'm now facing..which is causing me more stress.

Can anyone advise or share a good resource on how to communicate what this is and what I'm experiencing aimed for others, namely employers and friends/family - not particularly parents or partners which I don't have. No one I know has ever experienced concussion like this and I get the impression my boss and closest friends are confused and believe I'm feeding them misinformation because they see me improved one day then appear dopey, depressed, teary and flighty the next.

I feel like one of the key things for recovery is having good supportive people around me (because half the time I feel like a lost and vulnerable 4 year old, even though I'm 26 years on from that)! I think until they understand more, I won't really get that support I crave, and I fear I'll continue in this lonely downward spiral. I really struggle speaking coherently alot now, so any resources around this would be fantastic. I've searched as best as I could for something compact and concise tailored to this but no luck.. even in the other threads here.

In appreciation of your anticipated support,
Tamara
FuzzHead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (04-24-2015)