View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 12:29 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi sarahgee,

I am in the dental field and can offer some information here but first a couple of questions....

What tooth was extracted? Had the tooth been root canaled?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahgee944 View Post
I was diagnosed with a dental abscess a couple of weeks ago. My dentist prescribed penicillin to try to bring the infection down before extraction. That didn't work so he prescribed a couple of other antibiotics in succession, in an attempt to reduce the infection (Metronidazole, followed by Amoxycillin). I reacted to both - facial and neck rash - so had to stop taking them.
Since the extraction 6 days ago I have had no antibiotics to deal with any residual infection.
My socket seems ok but it's pretty sore near the root area and I am wondering how long I should leave it before contacting my dentist as I really don't know what to expect post-op.
Forum members' advice would be very welcome.
Thanks from a new member!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote