View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 05:29 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Update: April 27, 2015

Some days I am symptom-free. Other days, left sole paresthesia (especially after sitting with some compression of sciatic nerve in the site of hamstring), right ulnar nerve paresthesia (numbness and tingling of right two smallest fingers) last for hours. Hanging right arm by my side relieves the odd sensation. Sitting on a chair other than the one I am in now relieves left sole tingling to some degree.

Chronic myopathy was also present (prior to paresthesia onset of April 3). Glad to say that this situation is now resolving with muscle mass returning to left biceps and muscles of the forearm. (Noticeable bilateral loss of muscle from quadriceps, gluteus; gastrocnemius and anterior tibialis - with right side more affected). Pectoralis major: noticed bilateral loss of muscle in the course of a week, which is now resolving.

Persisting with thiamine (and all other vitamins as listed earlier in this post).

I'm glad to say that, generally, there is nothing new to report, in terms of symptom progression. Very mild compared to the first two weeks, if present at all.

Noted in journal (sorry, exact publication forgotten) that very marked muscle loss and paresthesias including sensory loss and depressed deep tendon reflexes slowly resolved (after 15 months, with 6-week inpatient hospitalization of pt. Hx of alcohol abuse). The pt was in a far worse state than I am in.

Considering my condition to really be dry beri beri with chronic myopathy already present.

Romberg's sign not present. Tinel's sign present three days ago. Cannot seem to make it occur again.

No liver signs at present - with no palmar erythema, ascites or abdominal swelling; no obvious jaundice of skin.

No kidney signs.

No signs of hypogonadism or hyperestrogenism.

Apparent fat deposition in places where muscle atrophied seems consistent with myopathy.

Only concern: thiamine malabsorption is present in cases of liver disease. So it is important to regularly check thiamine to ensure correct storage and phosphatization.

Sudden reduction of paresthesias and consistent levels of paresthesias with regular absence of symptoms seems to very very generally indicate that liver function is within normal limits.

Biggest concern right now - when will these tingling sensations get lost? Time, time, time. Time is so narcissistic.

This is now 3 weeks and 4 days after initial and rampant onset. Can jog upstairs, can exercise (on good days) for 3 hours, can carry load in storming conditions for two hours. (Walking, jogging elicits tingling in both soles, not very different from just normal sensations of having "used" my feet).

Pushups are easier. A pump (physiological engorgement of muscles with blood through exercise) is easier to elicit now. Was almost absent before, which was curiously odd.

Sleep is easier to come by these days. But for the last three nights I have been giving a "running commentary" in my dreams, which is very exhausting. A lady in one dream was gathering flowers, or something, from a garden bed. And there was I hovering in the dreamscape ether above her, and narrating the scene. Very odd. But these things have happened to me before and always abate. I work with a lot of people for long hours in a day and I often go to bed exhausted without having first properly unwound. So not unusual I suppose if I continue to analyze and provide narratives on the other side of life.

Um. That's all, I guess. Rough notes only. I am tired today. (Which is a good sign in this case).
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (05-07-2015)