View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 02:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi BreezyRacer

Thanks for all that info - very interesting as usual (and yes I did get through it all).
Can't say I understood all of the technical info in No.3 - the D-Lactate study - but got the general gist of it - that too much D-lactate was bad for you (ie: acidoisis) but as you say it could be that PD (and possibly others) are not getting enough D-Lactate (what the first two articles suggest) - possibly due to malabsorption. The last article about "Gut Bacteria Dysfunction Found in Parkinson’s" was interesting but also I checked out the 'related articles' list at the bottom and the one on 'fermented foods' was useful.

You're sort of right about gut bacteria and B12 but it's not that it prevents methylation its more that the wrong bacteria can cause malabsorption syndrome (ie not enough B12 (and other nutrients) are getting through to be methylated - the bad intestinal bacteria is using it up before it can be absorbed). To put it simply IMO there needs to be a two step process to solve this - just adding extra B12 (or other vitamins) alone will mean that yes you will get extra nutrients and may see some improvements but you will also be providing extra nutrients for the bad bacteria to thrive. So getting rid of the bad bacteria (or more achievable - reducing to a normal level) needs to be the first step. Then add the supplements.

Naturopaths are big on this at the moment (especially here in NZ) - IBS and 'leaky gut', (with candidiasis the main culprit) seems to be their favourite topic at present. They stress that it's a long (and no doubt expensive) process to 'cleanse' the gut. Like you I'm hoping to figure it out for myself how to do it. There is plenty of online info - although a lot seems contradictory and involves way too many expensive herbs and supplements for me.

The fecal transplant process certainly seems effective. Ironically just a week ago I was at the hospital for an Endocrinology appt. and while in the waiting area there was a public service broadcast on the screen about C. difficile (in a post- surgical patient) and fecal transplant as the treatment. I recognized the logo of the production company (german) so will go online after this and see if I can find a link for you. Like in the US I think a FT would be difficult to get here unless you have C. diff.
Anyway enough for now - time for breakfast - some of the new batch of yoghurt I brewed up yesterday.
cheers bluesfan
P.S. just curious what does your moniker stand for?
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Betsy859 (04-29-2015), BreezyRacer (04-27-2015)