View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Tongue Tethered Spinal Cord

Hello everyone. I am new here and still learning about threads and posting. I have Tethered
Cord Syndrome and I am 49 years old. I was diagnosed in 2008, and had a surgery to untether my cord then. Everything changed after that. My daily life has never been the same. There has always been so much pain, but in the last 6 months it has increased more than I can describe. I have also relocated to a different state. Each day I wake up with extreme pain everywhere, but now I have numbness in both legs, feet, arms and hands along with severe weakness. I also have numbness that comes and goes on one side of my face and scalp. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon this Friday. I am new to the state, so of course I have never seen him before. I have had so many MRI'S and doctors. I try to be optimistic. But, I am feeling very depressed. I don't know how all of you do it. It feels like a tremendous chore to even make the appointment and explain to yet another doctor details about my condition. And what possible outcomes will there be ? I suppose he will suggest another surgery or refer me to pain management. It's been a tough road, but lately I'm having a hard time thinking about this being "the reality" of the rest of my life. There is so much I wanted to do and see. I have never talked to anyone who wasn't a doctor about the details of my illness. I am sorry for venting like this. I wanted to gain knowledge and friends here. People make so many ridiculous suggestions who don't know what a tethered spinal cord is. Things like you should try and go for a "short walk" daily, or volunteer for something. ..."it will make you feel better." They don't realize I would give anything to be able to do just that. Thanks for listening. I am very down about the intensity of the new symptoms and the pain. Medication hasn't been an answer yet, but maybe I haven't found the right ones. And being in a new state, I am also very nervous about being viewed as a drug seeker. Nothing could be further than the truth. I'm afraid I may not have options. This can't be the quality of my life.....
aliestgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote