View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 03:20 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi spongepolka
re your changing thyroid numbers I'm going to copy below a reply I gave to another poster on the same subject:

"Re your hyperthyroid symptoms - like you I was getting varying high and low results on 3 monthly blood tests - my thyroid is monitored because I have another auto-immune condition. The doctor didn't want to medicate because of the side effects plus the medication (thyroxine) interferes with my other meds. I found a dietary solution in Adele Davis' book "Let's Get Well". To put it simply: I take 1 teaspoon of kelp flakes daily plus 200mg Vit E capsule. Started this two years ago and blood tests have been consistently normal since. The kelp provides iodine and the Vit E assists with iodine absorption. Keep monitoring it because I found after a while I was able to take the kelp a little less frequently. I get my kelp flakes by buying a packet of dried seaweed sheets (used for sushi), tear them roughly then shred them in a blender - store in an airtight container, (a pack of 10 sheets lasts about 6 mths - very cost effective!). I add them to porridge, smoothies, soups, scrambled eggs, stir fry etc. I started this with my doctor's knowledge and she commented that the soils in our country were known to be iodine deficient so depending on where you live that could be a factor."

In your case as your numbers are fairly recent and only slightly over/under I would ask for 3 mthly tests and monitor them for a year before changing anything. If they continue to vary up and down then you could discuss the diet changes outlined above with your doctor. Note the TSH test indication works in reverse to natural thinking. ie: Higher TSH means not enough iodine.

Hope this is useful and that you don't actually have Hashimoto's - just a 'wobbly' thyroid.
cheers bluesfan
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
spongepolka (04-27-2015)