View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Sarahgee,

The nerve injury to the other side of your mouth after the wisdom tooth removal is much more common than nerve injury from a pre molar extraction. Has that injury healed completely?

Regarding the at home irrigation with saline is helpful but be careful not to be too aggressive with that and don't over do it. The self irrigation cannot remove any ligament that is still attached to the bone. That had to be scraped out at the time of surgery. It is important for the extraction site to not be disturbed too much or too often during the initial healing phase as the bio-film that is forming to help protect the clot and heal the wound needs to do it's job. The irrigation is only meant to gently dislodge food debris from the socket.

Glad to hear that it feels less sore today... that is a good sign!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahgee944 View Post
Hi Bryanna
That's really helpful. I'm much clearer now on what to discuss with my dentist when I have a consultation tomorrow.
I think he was concerned to avoid the mental foramen (I sustained nerve damage on the other side of my jaw years back when a wisdom tooth was extracted, so my dentist and I are keen not to repeat the problem).
Although he cleared debris, he did no debriding as far as I am aware.
I have been irrigating with saline several times a day on his advice.
(and it's feeling a bit less sore today)
Many thanks again.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sarahgee944 (05-01-2015)