View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Mr Outsider,

Okay, that explains it very well, thank you.

So unless someone is willing and able to seek private dental care, they will normally just wait for their "turn" at the clinic or wherever.

Is the private care generally so expensive that it is really just for those you can easily afford it? Or is it priced within reason but just more expensive than NHS care?

Thanks so much for your help. I see that you have posted a thread about your personal dental situation. I am going to take a look at that now.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Outsider View Post
I have no direct experience of this but I think that most formal appointments with an oral surgeon on the NHS would be via referral from your dentist to a hospital (although a page on the NHS site says that some standard dental surgeries are beginning to incorporate this treatment).

In the cases of an emergency, I would think this would be dealt with as any other medical emergency, which is as a walk-in at a hospital (specifically one with a dental ward). I don't think a regular dentist could refer you for an emergency appointment, only advise you which hospital to attend A&E.

This is my understanding of how this would be done on the NHS. In terms of private care, I'm certain you can find a private oral surgeon relatively easily and arrange emergency appointments with them directly. Then it just comes down to money, private dental surgery of any kind is anything upwards of four times the cost of the same treatment on the NHS.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote