View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

SoftWalker/SoftTalker,

If any good has come from this neuropathy crap it's that I've discovered I'm insulin resistant well before any screening criteria would have even categorized me as pre-diabetic. (FBG low 80s, A1C 5.2)

At some point in time, I developed reactive hypoglycemia. I stupidly didn't think much about it. "I'm getting old." When the small fiber neuropathy hit and I learned diabetes and pre-diabetes were primary causes, I started digging deeper. (Because of my screening values, doctors weren't looking at it.)

I bought a glucose meter at Walgreens and spent a lot of time learning about normal and abnormal blood glucose levels. I was definitely not normal. After a high carb meal, my blood glucose level skyrockets and remains elevated for hours. Enough to do nerve damage? I don't know. It's not like there are magic numbers that define when nerve damage occurs.

I'm on a low carb diet now, and after a lot of finger poking, know what I can and can't eat to keep my blood glucose at reasonable levels.

It's been about 7 months, and I haven't seen improvement in my neuropathy, but it also hasn't gotten worse. One thing that I HOPE is for sure, though, is that I've avoided a future diabetes diagnosis.
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (04-28-2015), madisongrrl (04-28-2015), mrsD (04-28-2015), SoftTalker (04-29-2015)