View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 09:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gestational Diabetes

My daughter is into her 6th month of her first pregancy and just failed the first glucose tolerance test. She's getting the next, longer one done this next week. There were other test results that led them to doing the glucose tolerance test. And there's is a lot of diabetes on her father's side of the family.

I've Googled it and of course there's tons of info out there and some of it, even from reputable sources, is conflicting.

Can anyone tell me or point me to sources that can help, what does she need to do? Diet I know but finding even a somewhat definitive guideline has been almost impossible. We want to keep her from having to be put on insulin. Of course she's blown away by this even though she knew she might be facing T2D somewhere down the line.

I told her to think of this as an early warning that most people don't get. Is there a good chance she can control this life long without having to end up on insulin? Once the baby is born she'll go back to 'normal' but this is like saying, "Yep, it's just a matter of time before you *do* have it, full blown."