View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 03:51 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

It might not mean your ortho doesn't believe in it. It might just mean that to him CRPS is a "wastebasket" where doctors throw symptoms that they can't figure out. In my experience working with doctors the term has been used in frustration (sometimes with other doctors) that they could not come up with a clear cut reason for what is happening.

I wouldn't take offense just yet or be fearful of bringing it up to other doctors. You can always broach it as "so and so thought this might be CRPS. What is your experience with that? What do you think it is?" This gives enough ambiguity for difference or affirmation of medical opinion. I can also say for sure doctors don't often like to stab each other in the back clinically.

The other way a diagnosis can be a wastebasket is as a repository for evey complaint the patient has. And I think this is dangerous. It is too easy, especially with chronic pain issues for everything to get thrown in with the diagnosis someone has, potentially ignoring or not adequately working up "spread" or new problems that just maybe, are being caused by something else.

Sending Healing Love,
Littlepaw
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (04-29-2015), Enna70 (04-29-2015), Jennijojo (04-30-2015)