View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hello,

Currently and from time to time, we have some people on this forum who live in the UK that undoubtedly have difficulty obtaining emergency dental care from an oral surgeon. Can anyone who lives in the UK or is familiar with the healthcare (dental in particular) system in the UK offer some suggestions or helpful information about getting emergency dental care?

I live in the US and although it can be a bit nerve racking getting in to see an oral surgeon on an emergency basis, it can be done with a bit of assertiveness and always with a referral from a general dentist.

I realize the healthcare systems are different between the US and the UK. So any help that anyone familiar with the UK system can offer would be wonderful!

Thank You!
From my experience Emergency Dental care with a general Dentist is fairly easy, anything a tier above is a referral from your Dentist or Emergency Dentist. That is to a Max Fax or an Oral Medicine Dept.

Max Fax private cost vary from one surgeon to another but I would say an initial consultation it would £150 -220 and then they would give a quotation for the work. That work would be charged by the hour by the surgeon and then the hospital fees are on top. Some practising general Dentist are qualified as oral surgeon and are in general practice. Or are the local hospital consultant. A Search of Google once you have the name will normally lead you to where they practice privately.

My experience of referral wait time is around 8-12 weeks..

Searchable database on this site. Sorry not allowed to post link but search Google for the GDC and they will have a UK database where you can search for oral surgery by town
LeftField is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bryanna (04-30-2015)