View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 08:58 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
The floaters come from the retina in your eye.... They may have black dots in them, and those are more serious than the transparent ones.(the black dots are blood spots). They do not reside in your brain.

The general rule is when too many floaters come all at once, it MAY be a signal that you are in for a detachment of the retina.

However, nearsighted people tend to have more of them than normal sighted people because the eyeball is oval in that area and not round. This tends to put pressure on the cells and they may slough off more frequently.

Anyone with a huge flood of floaters should see an eye doctor ASAP. (especially if severely nearsighted.)

If your tears are not forming correctly you may notice thickening of the tears, which seem to "float" over the eyeball as well. Using artificial tears may help this. People in hot dry climates may have dry eyes occasionally. Make sure you keep hydrated, drinking enough water daily for your needs. Dry eye is more common in older people, and less so in young people.
It can be a sign of conjunctivitis, pink eye, or other inflammations of the surface of the eye. So seeing an eye doctor would be a good idea for this too.
mrsD,

Thank you for your reply.

My vision itself is fine - I can read from the same distance I always used to. The only problem is the floaters, and it started today.

Maybe it has something to do with the Ritalin I take? The focus Ritalin gives me is usually accompanied by the eyes being wide open for long periods of time (I'm very focused so my eyes are wide open as a part of the focus). I noticed that this wide opening of the eyes sometimes feels like pressure accumulating in my eyes - can this cause glaucoma or floaters?

If not, can floaters just happen spontaneously because of an infection? I thought floaters can also be caused by a change in the function of the vision center in the brain, not just the retina itself. Thanks for letting me know it is not a problem with the brain.

Should I go to a doctor now ASAP if I don't have vision problems other than this (my eyesight is as good as it has always been, I can still read from long distance and am not near eyesighted)? Or just go in a few days if it persists?

Thanks,
-ProAgonist

Concussions:

27 October 2014 - I accidentally smashed my head against a concrete wall while I was running (it was a slow run of about 3 meters / second).
No LOC.

6 November 2014 - In a sports field, A basketball ball fell on my head from about 5 meters height.

January 2, 2016 update: I am very optimistic, as I've made a significant recovery until now (2-Jan-2016). I am confident that my situation will keep improving.
ProAgonist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote