Thread: Shocked
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 07:36 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Welcome Morgan,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I was a three mile a day kinda gal before my foot issues. It is so hard to lose the use of your feet. Before you have surgery on the nerves in your feet I have important questions. Is your podiatrist trained in how to work on nerves? Did they do a fellowship of some kind specifically for this? Are they a member of the Association of Extremity Nerve Surgeons?

The reason I ask is some people get worse with neuroma surgery. The technique can make a huge difference in whether you develop a true stump neuroma afterwards (you can anyway) which will be just as painful. Nerves must be handled in certain ways surgically for optimal outcome and to prevent or minimize new axon development. I have had nerve surgery and know well that sometimes it is necessary, but having the right practitioner makes a difference. There is much debate over Morton's "neuromas" and how best to treat them. A second opinion is always an option if you are unsure.

On surgery, 500mg Vit C a day is current ortho recommendation for CRPS prevention, 900mg neurontin pre-op helps prevent chronic pain, and the antibiotic minocycline attenuates glia to help avert chronic if used after surgery for a week. I Just posted some links in a response to the NEW to CRPS Ten year old thread. There is one of Dr. Pradeep Chopra. Lots of good info in there. Sorry I just got up and don't have the link in front of me...

Sending Healing Love, Littlepaw

Last edited by Littlepaw; 05-01-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote