View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 02:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Flame, you have all hit the right nails on their heads. Mirapex can indeed cause compulsive behavior and Paxil - and almost every other antidepressant - can cause and or worsen RLS.

I haven't a clue as to how to approach the situation...could you could call the doctor and explain your concerns and send him the info on the compulsive behavior/Mirapex connection? And on the connection between antidepressants and RLS?

In this situation, Requip might work. . .but it might also lead to compulsive behavior. If your husband needs an antidepressant, he could try others, however, such as Wellbutrin which the majority of the time does not cause a worsening of RLS, and may even help it.

Getting off of the Paxil can also be very difficult. This is also documented.

Flame, I have severe RLS. I can assure you that I'd be a basket case without my meds. That said, I also know that there are about 25 meds that can be used for it, so if one doesn't work another one is available. While not one of them was developed specifically for RLS, there are a few that tend to work well for a lot of people.

Last thought. . .stopping Mirapex when you have RLS can sometimes cause a tough two or three weeks in the RLS department. Not for everyone, but some people have a hard time. The RLS researchers have found that during this time opioids seem to help the most. If you need more help about any of this, consider posting Dr Buchfurer on the So Cal RLS Support Group site. He's a sleep doc who specializes in RLS (has written a book, was on the RLS Foundation's medical advisory board, etc.) and he replies to people who post letters on the support group's site - rlshelp.org.

Good luck.
ViewAskew is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote