Thread: Shocked
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Morgan,

The trick with Morton's neuroma is that it is not really a neuroma but a fibrous thickening in response to compression. Cutting the nerve to remove them can cause a true neuroma to form in response to the injury. This can happen even with the best technique. The following link gives info on both so you can see what the potential is. It is from Washington Univeristy which has probably the best nerve program in the US.

http://nerve.wustl.edu/nd_neuroma.ph...erve_disorders

The potential to grow a true neuroma from the nerve trying to heal itself by sending out new axons is one of the reasons to avoid a cut-out procedure, that and you lose the fine innervation further down. Some surgeons treat this as a nerve decompression and release ligamentous restrictions on the area. Steroid Injections can shrink the morton's neuroma and atrophy some of the fibrous problem. Ultrasound guidance will give the best results. Phenol and other neurotoxic injections can cause other problems.

I would not give up on a treatable cause contributing to your pain syndrome. It sounds like you have reasons for your pain that can and should be addressed. You could have developed CRPS in response to the problems and it could improve with treatment of underlying pain contributors. Or it could stick around, Impossible to say. But CRPS is a diagnosis of exclusion. I think you have to treat what you can and see what remains. I appeared early on in my journey to have CRPs but it was a nerve entrapment and nerve injury resulting from an orthopedic surgery. I had a neuroma-in-continuity resulting from retractor damage that had to be resected. I was much better afterwards. My CRPS came after another procedure I sadly needed further down on the same foot some months later. Nerves had just been through too much. That was why it easy to tell for me. Symptoms were prety clear month out from my last procedure.

I spend a lot of time on the bike at the gym and a LOT of time in the pool. Aqua work is the best. There is also an elliptical called an Arctrainer which gives legwork but less ankle stress. I am so hapy to be off crutches and now walking a mile, I try not to stress about what I used to do. 8 miles of hardcore high incline/decline without blinking. Hiking was my real thing. Ah well, we have to adapt.

If you don't like what your podiatrist says get another opinion. Foot and ankle orthopedics is good. Physcial MEdicine, Rehabilitation guys sometimes do a lot of foot stuff. I see one who does running medicine, knows about Morton's. does ultrasound injections etc. Finish your shots before surgery, unless they're phenol...

You can find nerve savvy podiatrists herehttp://aens.us
Good luck and keep us posted.
Sending Healing Love, Littlepaw
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote