View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 12:49 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default A few questions for fellow PCS sufferers

I was first diagnosed with PCS during the beginning of my grade 11 year, when I was around sixteen. I had wiped out and hit my head on the pavement. I still suffer from chronic tinnitus, headaches, a bit of dizziness. I took a full year off school, and then continued with a reduced course load.

Next year I plan to go into university (petroleum engineering), and am scared that I cannot handle it. I have already contacted the university and they will allow me to take a reduced course load. I take frequent breaks during my studies, I am cognitively fine even after my injury, but I am afraid that I will still not be able to handle it.

I am on a vitamin regimen quite similar to mark in idaho's, and I get plenty of rest, but I still have shown no improvement in almost three years time. I am reluctant to try to increase my exercise because I feel that right now I am at point where my symptoms are manageable, and I am afraid that exercise may induce symptoms that I will not be able to manage.

With that said I am wondering a few things:

1. Could a slowly increasing exercise regimen possibly help me recover?
2. Is there any advice that anyone who is currently enrolled in or has attended a secondary institution while suffering from PCS has for me?
3. How careful should I be? (this is a big one)

I have had neurologists tell me to go running and head a few soccer balls, I have had other neurologists tell me to take it easy and be sure not to hit my head, I have been lurking on this forum and I see some people developing symptoms from things as simple as flinching. My understanding is that is generally takes quite a hard impact to cause a concussion. And that many sub-concussive impacts over a prolonged period of time can cause similar symptoms. Things like turning my head side to side while driving should be completely fine, right?

Sorry for the word wall and lack of logic in my text, sometimes I have trouble piecing my ideas together coherently.

I'd like to thank you for any responses in advance.

PostConcussionMan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote