View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 01:45 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I understand the issue about being active and so not having too much time to worry. But in the long run, you'd be trading your health as versus exploring what needs to be fixed. So I'd say you have it right currently, that you need to convince yourself that health comes first, that things will be ok & you can fix things.

Please don't worry about PT right now. You are healing, you need a break from everything, including PT and need to feel better and stronger before working on imbalances and all. Let me explain, when you have surgery, your body is concentrating on taking all available nutrients and healing that area, why spread out the nutrient focus amongst multiple areas? Let your body adjust to your new you, with those pesky ribs gone.

At best do the light PT advised to keep yourself mobile and flexible and what is advised by doctor post surgery.

Drugs - I'd go with what is advised. You might need those drugs to calm your nerves down post surgery and reduce inflammation. That's vital. One of the big mistakes I made post my horrible accident was to not use my full dose of painkillers - might have reduced my scar tissue .. always things i shoulda done in hindsight.

Re: other items for healing (more passive than accupuncture) once you heal.

One of the big things that really helps this sort of stuff, and which is #1 on my to do list is pranayama or yogic breathing. Its relatively (or so I read) gentle, has a profound impact on the nervous system and stuff like depression. TBH what is depression (everyone in chronic pain would have it, otherwise they wouldn't be human beings would they?) - its due to circumstances - the injury and concern about whether it'll get better and second, due to the negative hormone/chemical imbalances that develop in our body due to continued pain, inflammation & sleep issues. Pranayama is supposed to address all these.

There is this institute called Art of Living, which trains folks in all these - please see if somebody around your area has this available & do it gradually. They call it Sudarshan Kriya, but its basically yoga & yogic breathing (the postures are actually secondary to breathing) so you can do breathing alone once you heal. Art of Living has disciples and trainers WW. Other guys who are really good are BKS Iyengar Yoga folks.

Way to look at your life right now (and I apologize if I come across as preachy) is a) you were hurt b ) you got good medical care c) you need time off

I mean, after all you have been through, isn't it your turn to take some rest and take things easy? And you will only do so long as you become better.

Of course, you will also be productive in that you can explore things that make you better & you can always come and tell us about it.

So...your job right now is to fix yourself, and if you find things along the way that help you, by sharing them you would be helping all of us too!
Akash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote