View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 03:24 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
When you hit those mental walls, what do you do ? I find I need to completely change course and even take a short nap. Closing my eyes for a few minutes helps.

Driving can be stressful, especially if you have rough roads. I can see how a hug would cause enough quick movement to cause symptoms.

You need to learn your triggers and how to moderate them. Many of us use ear plugs to reduce auditory stimulation. I like the yellow foam ones. I al ways have them available. I use them in restaurants unless I can find a quiet both.

For me, the intense sounds at movie theaters can be a problem. Ear plugs again and being selective about what movies.

Your physicians opinions are worthless. You have to discover your tolerances. Nobody knows how your brain and body reacts but you. Keep in mind that is not uncommon for a delay before symptoms return. You can have a great day and feel great at bed time then wake up and have a miserable day the next day. Plus, quality of sleep can predicate the quality of day. Cognitive stresses one day can show up as fatigue the next day.

Have you noticed your triggers ?
If I'm at home I will usually nap, or just lay down in a quiet place and relax.

My main trigger is definitely auditory stimulation, loud music, busy restaurants, that type of stuff. Visual stimulation bothers me sometimes, as well as cognitive strain. Often I can handle these different types of stimuli individually, but it is when I start doing more at once when I develop headaches. Like reading a book while listening to music would definitely irritate me.

I don't understand how something like a hug could invoke symptoms though, by my definition it would be a stretch to even consider that a sub-concussive impact? Something like hugging my girlfriend I am more than willing to suffer possible increased symptoms, but not a more damage brain (which I don't think a simple hug could cause?) Or should even simple things like this be avoided?

Have you ever heard of anyone improving even after almost three years? Because to be quite frank, I don't want to suffer lifelong symptoms from one accidental head injury when I was 16.
PostConcussionMan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote