View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 02:34 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
AaronS,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

There is no way to tell if this return of symptoms is due to physical trauma or anxiety. For many, from the way they comment about their symptoms, I believe it is anxiety.

How do you know you suffered a frontal lobe contusion ? Did you get an MRI or CT Scan that showed damage ?

What have you been doing to help your brain recover ?
Mark, thanks for the reply. I have had multiple MRIs showing damage to my left gyrus rectus. My original neurologist continued to call the lesion a contusion, even as it did not heal or change from multiple scans, but my new neurologist has told me she is certain it is all scar tissue/shrunken brain at this point.

As far as my recovery, the first month after my injury I was unsure what I was dealing with, and as a result I oscillated between work and rest. After getting my first MRI and seeing the damage, I immediately went on disability from my job and got as much rest as possible. About 5 months post injury, I still felt many cognitive deficits with little improvement above how I felt 1 month post injury. This led me to seek a new neurologist.

That neurologist, who I referenced above, referred me to a neuropsych and physiatrist specializing in brain injury who I now see regularly. Their approach is different from my first neurologist, who emphasized rest. They have had me pushing my boundaries and doing "work-like" activities to build up my mental stamina.

After about 2 months of that, I have had a lot of improvement in my cognitive function. I am now set to go back to work part time in June. I generally feel good, but these jolts throw off my mental state and confidence. I have a history of anxiety, so it's hard to know whether what I'm feeling is psychosomatic or not, but I try to return to the same tasks and take note of how well/poorly I perform as a way of reassuring myself that I haven't re-injured my brain.
AaronS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote