View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Micromanaging ever little symptom is a losing game in my opinion. It only feeds anxiety. Anxiety can be two fold. There can be the psychosomatic anxiety but often there is a physiological response from that anxiety. So, learning to not be anxious can reduce triggering symptoms.

I and many others do not agree with the push the boundaries approach, especially if pushing the boundaries causes fatigue and symptoms. I also do not agree with the total rest approach. There is an in between approach.

First, you identify your symptoms, limitations and triggers as real and valid. Then, you use them as a starting point, not a point of deficit. No fighting against them or taking at attitude of "When am I going to be back to normal ?" This is your new normal. You start from here. Your learn to manage triggers, sound, light, work-load, etc so that symptoms are reduced to a manageable level.

This often requires learning work-arounds and other coping mechanisms. Then, within this framework, you attempt to move forward in small steps. Acknowledge each small step or accomplishment as a positive and celebrate it, even if that improvement does not last. Again, no negative "But I only accomplished X when I used to be able to accomplish XYZ."

Every gain, no matter how small is a positive. Every set back is a just an opportunity to start over and avoid pushing the limits. One of the goals is to overcome the anxiety of feeling like you have failed. Anxiety slows recovery. Rather than beat yourself up about causing a relapse, a simple "I'll need to try to avoid that" and "How can I learn from this and move forward ?"

For me, it was usually a "Woops, I'll probably pay for that." and then when and if I do, I expected it so it's no big deal. No anxiety. Just a lesson learned.

Another goal is to learn a new way of living. Chances are we will need these skills the rest of our life. Maybe not day to day but often when we have experienced stress or are taking on a stressful event.

Did you have a full NeuroPsych Assessment and what did the report say ?

Have you had a follow up NPA to chart your improvements ?

How did you hit your head so hard to cause such damage ?
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote