View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 04:58 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post

Did you have a full NeuroPsych Assessment and what did the report say ?

Have you had a follow up NPA to chart your improvements ?

How did you hit your head so hard to cause such damage ?
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to keep that in mind. Perhaps I over-emphasized the "pushing" aspect of my doctors' advice -- basically I push myself to do the most that I can handle, without making myself feel so poorly that I have to refrain from activity the rest of the day/week.

I have had a full neuropsych assessment done, about 4 months post injury. It says a lot, but mostly identified problems with inhibition, attention, working memory and processing speed. It recommended stimulants, which my old neurologist was pushing me to take. This is party of why I switched neurologists -- I felt it was too early to be masking symptoms to try to get back to "normal." Even so, the new team treating me has recommended stimulants as I prepare to go back to work at the beginning of June.

I haven't had a follow up to that neuropsych evaluation yet, as my neurologist said she doesn't order them any sooner than a year after the initial test because anything intermediary would be too influenced by testing bias.

As far as my injury, people are always incredulous when I tell them. I hit my head on the door frame getting into a van -- the way one would when you move your full weight without realizing something is obstructing your path. My doctors tell me that the contusion, and my lengthy recovery is atypical for the kind of accident I had, and suggest it may be a result of prior, undiagnosed/asymptomatic brain injuries to the same area of the brain (left frontal lobe).

I am trying to adjust to a new way of living, but I have retained enough function that it is hard for me to let my old self disappear. Returning to work in June will be a sort of crucible, as I have a demanding, cognitively intense job. Still, I am hopeful that going back to work will give me confidence in my abilities.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my fears, dispense advice and learn about me. I appreciate it.
AaronS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote