View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Laughter,

Well this is not really a laughing matter.... :/

I re read your CT results and it is possible that you still have or have recurrent osteomyelitis and perhaps your body keeps making granular tissue because it is confused by the bacteria. New tissue and bone always form after an extraction but when there is bacteria that is irritating the new growth, the new tissue grows lumpy and actually prevents the bone from filling in. That's why it needs to be re surgerized.

This problem is most commonly seen when the extraction site was not debrided thoroughly at the time the tooth was removed. In some cases, the problem goes on for months, even years before it is diagnosed properly.

I must say, your CT scan was hugely helpful in that it gave a clear picture of what was going on. Sometimes the bacteria has really set up house and it can be difficult to eradicate completely. The only thing the surgeon can do is go in again and really clean the site out as best as he can.

I would suggest that you request a biopsy AND culture be taken at the time of this surgery. The biopsy determines the bacteria and cells that are present and the sensitivity culture determines what antibiotic is most appropriate. Truthfully, both of those things are imperative and should be done. So put away the chicken suit and put on the roaster.... !!

I am sorry that you are going through this. We could look back and say... what if the dentist did this or that and what if the initial follow up care had been better. But it won't make the problem go away and it just uses up valuable energy. So try to look forward to getting this taken care of and be (gently) assertive with what you expect to have done. I think this surgeon wants to help you and I feel he would welcome your taking the role of your own advocate.

Be sure to have a soft food diet planned ahead of time so you don't have to think about it when you don't feel like thinking about it

Hang in there... and keep us posted.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughter222 View Post
Hi again Bryanna,

Well, I saw the OS this past Saturday. The panoramic and PT x-rays show that "there is something in there" <----the OS's words, not mine. He agreed that the unhealthy tissue is also back, although it isn't as big as the most recent time that I had to have surgery.

He confirmed the pus and blood factor as well (bleck). Long story short, I have to go in this Saturday (May 9th) to have same surgery again, Bryanna. Is my situation common? How often do patients have this many issues/procedures after having two teeth extracted?

I'm not a happy camper. Cluck,cluck, cluck. ~Laughter

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote