Thread: Traveling
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer00 View Post
Hi all,

I know everyone is different and pain levels/management vary greatly.

To provide some info on my condition, I'll explain how I get
through the day.

My pain is in my feet, calves and backs of my thighs. I soak my feet and calves in ice water each morning before I go to work. This helps for most of the morning. Upon arriving at the office, I sit on soft ice packs under my thighs. I have to do this or I can't sit because it hurts too much. I have two pairs that I rotate thru the freezer. I leave work around 2 each day and go home to lie down for 30-60 minutes. This kind of rejuvenates me. When I get up, I again soak in ice water for about 1/2 an hour.

I take Gabapentin (1200 x 3 times a day) and 50 Tramadol X 2, plus 1 Norco in the evening.

Okay, now here's my question... In about a month, I have to take a 3 hour flight. The NSA website is unclear on whether I can take my ice packs to sit on. I'm over-thinking this whole thing, but the thought of being stuck in a plane for 3 hours in escalating pain is scaring the crud out of me.

I plan on consuming a large dose of edible m.j. right as I pull up to the airport, which should kick in about the time we board. Weed is my best pain killer, but even it won't numb the pain when I sit without ice.

Anyone have travel tips for me? Something amazing would be great!

Thanks!

Just some brainstorming....

Instant ice packs. You shake them and they get cold.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...459971-product

A letter from your doc explaining why you need the above or your regular gel ice packs. I used to travel with a device for my pain called an H- wave machine. It literally looked like a bomb( it was a black box with 4 wires/ electrode looking things that I put on my body). I always got pulled aside and they did an explosives check but I always got on the plane with it because of the doctors note.

You HAVE to plan for delays...ice packs don't last long...how about lidocaine patches, they can be left on for 12 hours. Or a lidocaine cream.

I freeze wet face clothes or small towels and put them in zip lock bags and when I arrive at my desrination I have a wet facecloth to freshen up with or if delayed, can freshen up on the plane....no one has ever questioned them and they are not liquid. You could buy a cheap styrofoam cooler, freeze them at home and just toss in your carryon at the last minute and ditch the cheap cooler. maybe that would suffice to replace gel packs.

use the Norco for the flight

have a good trip,
Diandra
Diandra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote