View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman9271 View Post
Hello,

I have had crohns for almost 20 years, diagnosed when I was 13 yrs old. I have been through just about everything with this awful disease, from two surgerues to almost every drug on the market. I had a flare up this past January and was hospitalized. Apparently humira stopped working after 5 years on it. While in the hospital they started me on prednisone (20 mg 2x a day), flagyl, cipro, and entyvio. I was discharged and told to continue to take the steroid and the 2 antibiotics. The cipro was removed quickly as a I started to have bad symptoms but my GI told me to stay on the Flagyl (250 mg 2x a day) and the prednisone. About 4 weeks ago I stated to develop extreme pain in my feet. I would get shooting pain, numbness, tingling, and hyper sensitive to touch. To this day, the pain has gotten worse. It is extremely hard to walk and I can only sleep at night if I take Percocet. My GI referred me to a neurologist who hasn't said for certain it was because of the flagyl but he did do blood work and an EMG which were normal. He wants me to take a drug called Gabapentin 3 x a day at 300 mg each. I am afraid to take it as I have read some pretty nasty side effects.

I am basically reaching out for some help. I don't know to do. The more I read about neuropathy the more I get scared. I have read that it is irreversible if it was from flagyl. I can't imagine living like this forever as even walking is so very difficult. The pain, numbness, coldness, and needles are so bad I can barely stand up to work. Has anyone else experienced these kinds of issues? I welcome any advise! It has already been 4 weeks and I feel like it is getting worse !

Thanks for reading.

I just want to say thanks for your post. I am new to PN also, and I too have (had) this fear that it is getting worse and that I will never get better.

I am so grateful for the responses above me and for the hope and insight given to you. (which I have received as a domino affect)

Also, I am grateful for other info I have been given and have read on this forum. MrsD comes to mind.

There is much information about diet, supplements, topical treatments, etc. to be found here.

Also want to mention that I too, have another disease/condition that was with me before PN struck. Myasthenia gravis, diagnosed 2000, but probably with me for longer. It has not been, and still is not a walk in the park. And I know your illness is not either.

And another diagnosis/illness added to the one(s) we already have is not something we needed or were expecting. It is quite frankly, the PITS!

But I think with the help of this forum; and as someone in an above post said; with some (it seems like many) lifestyle changes and vitamin therapy, hopefully our PN pain and symptoms can be somewhat alleviated.

Good luck. Try to stay positive.

We are ALL in this BOAT of LIFE and its challenges - together!
SoftTalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (05-06-2015)