View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 08:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have always wanted a GSD and of course after the pug, who took months to housebreak and never responded to his name - I would stand in the yard and call "treat" to get him to come in, or shake the milk bone box - the idea of a really smart dog had great appeal. Now that he is deaf we follow him around and remind him why he is outside.
She learns everything super fast and is beginning to tolerate strangers passing her at the park, especially if there are a lot of people like at the campground. She gets stressed and grumpy but does give up barking. Runners that come at you from nowhere without a greeting, bikers, and most other dogs will elicit a bark and a jump off the trail. She is not a biter, she is too afraid to get close to anyone, so as long as she can escape that isn't a problem. Sometimes GSD people will beg to meet her and if they are those super cool zen masters she will sniff them politely but no petting. If they are the macho I know everything about dogs watch me freak out your fearful GSD we keep away. They all say she isn't aggressive. I picked the puppy under the grill when my husband abruptly changed his mind about "we are just looking not buying a dog today". And yes, I did know better, but she could not be better despite the fearfulness. So if I had been smarter we wouldn't have her and maybe someone who couldn't accommodate as easily to her needs would have her. We took classes, she was the star pupil but never wanted to play with the other dogs. The other GSD didn't really either, they are somewhat aloof socially compared to other breeds so some of this is normal.
Those are amazing things you have taught your girl, en bloc! The phone is a really good idea. I am never home alone, but that could change in a few years as the boys move out. My husband works at home but travels at least once a month.
She will give up barking at the doorbell and visitors if I take out her mat. She even barks when kids come over that she is dying to play with so it is her way of expressing excitement as well as fear.
We do play fetch in the yard and I can take her out for potty breaks, it is in the park that I need help because just navigating the uneven ground is enough of a challenge. She plays with me by bringing the ball and dropping it in my hand or lap, with my 16 year old she expects him to chase her and throw two toys, and with my husband it is a combination of the two. Her desire to have two toys is silly because she gets confused about which to chase but definitely wants them both.
I had heard from so many people what wonderful dogs they are, and of course I have this fantasy self that hikes around the parks with my majestic dog by my side and is planning an Appalachian trail assault. The reality of my slow progress on relatively flat terrain with hiking poles and a neurotic dog manically checking for signs of life within 50 feet is somewhat different, but they are amazing dogs, and her personality is really an awful lot like mine.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
en bloc (05-05-2015), EnglishDave (05-06-2015), mrsD (05-07-2015), zkrp01 (05-05-2015)