View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 11:58 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Brother had been overdosing on his PD meds

My brother is in Independent Living and has PD. He had been really having issues feeling sick, stomach, dizziness, irritable, etc. etc. My Son went with my brother a couple of months ago for his Neuro appointment. (My daughter usually took him.) What was discovered/uncovered was my brother had been self-medicating and taking extra of his PD medication. At present, the facility has been bringing his medications to him (at an extra cost).

All medication, including over the counter meds have been removed. (This began with my son arranging for the above.) He admitted he had felt better for a little while when he took extra; thus began even overmedicating even over the counter meds to try to get him over the sick feeling (which obviously was because of his overdosing his PD meds). Since my brother seems to feel (former teacher) that he is smarter than most; he can be very difficult to reason with.

Last week, the facility had done some testing to determine whether my brother needs to be in the Assisted Living part of the facility. We're starting to be concerned whether he will eventually be asked to leave. He is upset about the medication being removed; but seems to be feeling somewhat better. (There was/is some concern that he did some stashing of his meds before the removal had been done.)

Sorry for all of you who are dealing with PD. Difficult for all concerned.

Gerry

Last edited by ger715; 05-06-2015 at 11:11 AM.
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote