View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 10:03 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop262 View Post
Oooooh, yes, Gabapentin withdrawal is not much fun. I was taking it for something other than PN several years ago and decided to go off because it wasn't doing anything for me.

Just like anything else, you have to go as slow as possible. I was taking 400 mg capsules 4 times/day. I went down to 3/day for a week, then 2/day for a week, then 1/day for a week. It wasn't fun, but not too bad up to that point. But when I tried to cut out that last dose per day, I felt so wired up - shaky, couldn't concentrate, etc.

I'm not necessarily recommending this, but what I did was to carefully open the capsules, dump them on a creased sheet of paper, remove some of the powder, pour the rest back into the capsule, and put the capsule back together with the new lower dose.

It does take a steady hand, and I kind of felt like some kind of a drug dealer - but it allowed me to continue tapering the dosage down a little at a time.

I know others have done it by putting the powder into a glass of water or juice, etc. But I found that Gabapentin is extraordinarily bitter, and the taste is very hard to cover up.

Hope that helps - Slow and steady is the way to go. Best of luck
I thought about breaking the capsules rather than sit for 2 hours in my neuros office just to get an updated RX which would give me the 100mg dosages. So instead of it all, I just stopped.

May I ask what kinds of symptoms you had when you stopped it, since you mentioned "it is not fun"? And how long did you have the withdrawal symptoms?
- Apr 2015 - L. Shoulder/Arm Neuralgic Amyotrophy/Plexus Neuritis

twitchwitch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote