Since developing PN, I added:
Acetyl-L-Carnitine 1000 mg/day
R Lipoic Acid 200 mg/day
Thiamine 100 mg/day
Methylcobalamin 5000 Mcg/day
Biotin 5000 Mcg/day
D3 2000 IU/day
Iodine (kelp) 300 Mcg/day
(I had no improvement after taking these supplements for several weeks to several months.)

After reading about Metanx, I decided to try taking the equivalent supplements. I was already taking the methylcobalamin, so I added in Solgar Metafolin 800 Mcg/day starting last friday. I also discontinued the B Complex, since I didn't want to take the folic acid in the B Complex along with the metafolin.
I had an almost immediate positive response. Felt a little better Friday, felt significantly better over the weekend, and by Monday my pain was more like a "mild discomfort".
Unfortunately, Tuesday things started turning back the other way, and today things are back to where they were before I started.

At this point, I'm not sure if the improvement was from the Metafolin, or just a random period of temporary improvement along the roller coaster that is PN.

I have read that with certain supplements, a period of improvement followed by regression may indicate the need for a higher dosage. Not sure if that applies to Metafolin or not - so do you think it makes sense to increase the dosage beyond 800 Mcg/day? (I know the standard Metanx dosage is much higher than that, but I'm trying to be a bit conservative here.)

Also, do you think I should add in the P-5-P now, or wait until I get the Metafolin dosage figured out. I prefer to add things in 1 at a time, but is this a case where you need all 3 ingredients to work together?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Ragtop262 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote