View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Magnate

8 yr Member
Magnate

8 yr Member
Trig

Hi Jeff,

Firstly, I feel for your Father-in-Law. Chronic pain is not something that is easy for any of us to live with, and I have been suffering severely physically for 25 years and deteriorating to that point for longer.

Secondly, his mental state. Dutch Law for Physician Assisted Termination of Life is very strict. Here:

the patient's suffering is unbearable with no prospect of improvement
the patient's request for euthanasia must be voluntary and persist over time (the request cannot be granted when under the influence of others, psychological illness or drugs)

I doubt your FIL could find a Dr to assist on the grounds of Neuropathy on these first two points alone. We are talking about the pain of terminal cancer here. Believe me, I am 45 minutes from a ferry to Amsterdam - if it was easy…

What he needs IMO is Therapy and effective treatment for his obvious Depression. Does he have any treatment at all. As for all the treatments he has had for his physical condition, does this include Infusions? IVIG, Lidocaine, Ketamine? From what I've read on our Forums the latter two are more readily available this side of the Atlantic for some reason.

Keep searching, but address the mental health issues as a matter of urgency.

Dave.
To the shapes we now possess.

The Sage - Emerson, Lake & Palmer.
EnglishDave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (05-07-2015), Enna70 (05-06-2015), Lara (05-06-2015)