View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o00o_itz_brat_o00o View Post
I have a question. My dad has fahr's disease and my brother dont want dad driving his kids places, but my brother wont tell him and when i am babysitting the kids dad wont listen to me when i put my foot down.
What can i do?
This actually happened to a friend of mine who lives down the block from me. She is about 90 but admits to being 88. While she can be forgetful, she can outwalk me anytime. Yesterday she was running. She was an avid driver until a few months ago. They had been trying to get her to stop but she was adamant. Her children live about 2 hours away and one lives in another state. They want her to sell the house and move in with one of them. She refuses. She says "All my friends are on this block". When someone is that stubborn, you can't reason with them. You have to take the bull by the horns. This is what her daughters did. They went down to the Motor Vehicle Department. (They were all cahoots). My elderly friend was told to come down to the Motor Vehicle Department because at a certain age one has to take another eye exam. Her children drove her there. They left my friend's car in her driveway. When she got to the Motor Vehicle Department (they were in on the whole thing), they gave her an eye test, told her she failed and she would have to turn in her keys (or plates) or whatever. She had no choice. The next day I ran into her and she was mad as hell. I said 'Angie, what happened". She said "I can't drive anymore" I then carefully and patiently explained why that might NOT be such a bad thing. She wasn't having any of it. She complained to everyone who would listen and she would say "They tricked me, they made me go down there, I can drive, they tricked me". She could do NOTHING because they took her license. They made her give it up at the Motor Vehicle Department. Now I don't know if this was legal or not but it did indeed get this 90 year old person off of the road.

Think about it.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EnglishDave (05-07-2015), ger715 (05-07-2015), o00o_itz_brat_o00o (05-07-2015)