View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Paulyfred,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here.
Thank you for posting the picture, it is helpful.

The tooth that was extracted, was that a root canaled tooth? If so, how long ago was it root canaled? Was there a fistula or pimple like bump above this tooth prior to having it removed?

The upper front maxillary bone is very thin compared to other areas of the mouth. If the extracted tooth had been root canaled or was infected, then there is a good chance that you have some bone loss in that area. Usually the area of bone that is lost in this area of the mouth is the front or buccal portion. Placing a bone graft in this area under that condition would be very risky because the graft would be sitting in more soft tissue than bone which means the graft would not have bone to integrate into. So if that is your case, then the graft that is not able to integrate with the bone is going to keep falling out and it doesn't matter how many times the graft is re done because if there is no buccal bone present now, there never will be as this area of bone is not replaceable without using a piece of your own bone that has been harvested from another area of your body. Even that surgery is not a guarantee to be successful. This area of bone loss would cause the gum tissue to recede upwards to meet the edge of the existing bone and to become indented where that buccal bone is missing.

It is normal to have some discoloration and inflammation of the gum tissue surrounding this extraction site but at this point it should have calmed down. The prolonged discoloration and inflammation can be due to infection, rejection of the bone graft, and/or the fake tooth that the dentist adhered to the adjacent teeth may be pressing too tightly against the surgery site.

I assume your dentist suggested to put a dental implant in this area at some point? FYI... dental implants require healthy, adequate bone in order to hold them in the jaw successfully. If the buccal bone is non existent then the dental implant will not be surrounded by jaw bone and that front portion can be somewhat visible through the gum tissue. This is something to discuss with your dentist prior to putting in an implant.

Are you seeing a general dentist for all of this oral surgery or an oral surgeon?

Bryanna

When an upper front tooth is removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyfred View Post
Hello,
I had a front tooth extracted and a bone graft performed at the same time. This occurred about two weeks ago.
My dentist did not prescribe an antibiotic but I called him a week later because it was swollen and I tasted a weird taste in my mouth. He did prescribe an antibiotic.

Well he did not do the flipper tooth but used the extracted tooth. He used the cement and utilized the extracted tooth for cosmetic purposes.Therefore it is glued in place.

I'm concerned because my gum is dark in the area of the bone graft. Also when I went i this week for a follow up, he mentioned that we may have lost some of the bone due to the infection. Is this possible?
The bone or graft is poking through the gum. Therefore the tooth looks longer. My gum doesn't look really full. My gum looks like there is a slight ridge.
He mentioned I might need another graft in 3 months. I'm wondering if he did something that wasn't right. Besides I'm uncertain if I want to spend another $980 for a bone graft if it could have been prevented in the first place.
Does the information from the dentist sound right?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Paulyfred (05-07-2015)