View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Paulyfred,

Thanks for posting these other pictures.

Unfortunately, the gum does not look good. It should not look that way at this stage of healing. It appears that the buccal area of bone is fragile if even present which could have resulted from the infection that was present before this tooth was removed. I am assuming it was root canaled awhile ago, is that correct? It had developed a fistula at some point in time prior to the extraction. Is that correct?

When a fistula develops above an infected or root canaled tooth it means that the infection has spread from the tooth into the bone. It takes time for the fistula to form and it can come and go. Generally the infection has to be present for quite some time before the fistula appears. The area of bone that the infection has traveled through to get to the outside of the gum through the fistula deteriorates and is usually not replaceable. It is possible this has occurred in your case and if so, then this area of bone may not be able to hold a dental implant.

Regarding the dentists credentials... a DMD simply indicates a general dentist. An implantologist certificate does not deem that dentist a surgeon. It just means he took a course or workshop and passed. His experience with dental surgery and implants may be minimal or may not be.

It is generally wise to see an oral surgeon for the removal of an infected tooth because they are more educated and experienced in oral surgery. They are also more educated and experienced with placing dental implants much more so than most general dentists.

This area should be clinically examined and an xray should be done to see the condition of the bone, the graft and whatever other the pathology is going on. Please consider seeing an oral surgeon especially if your dentist is not taking this seriously.

FYI.... The initial healing of your oral surgery is crucial for the overall healing as infection and death of bone or tissue can prevent the site from healing.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Please don't wait to have this checked.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyfred View Post
Thank you so much for the information.
There was infection at the site but I don't think it was present at the time of the extraction. I thought it was standard protocol to prescribe antibiotics when there is an extraction. None the less, there was a fistula at one time but not then.
I am planning on getting a dental implant when the bone is better.

However I feel as though the gum looked better a few days ago. I can see an indentation and discoloration. I didn't know if the darker gum was because I am ethnic although my other gum is pink.
It is not hurting and I am not asking anything unusual in my mouth.

The dentist did take X-rays and photos. He is a D.M.D. and he attended the University of Pennsylvania. He does have certificates for Implantologist. They do cosmetic dentistry, periodontal planning and restorations. However I do not know how experienced they are in this area. There are three dentist in the practice.
Do you suggest I seek out a periodontist which specializes in this area?

I am suppose to go back in one month but I'm getting worried. Any help is deeply appreciated.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote