View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi boogagirl,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here.

Based on your description, the dentist did not complete the extraction as he left a piece of the tooth in the socket and that is what is most likely causing the infection. Antibiotics cannot cure this infection because the piece of tooth is covered in bacteria and it is keeping the infection alive.

The decayed partially impacted wisdom tooth is also contributing to the infection. It is a shame that both teeth were not removed at the same time by the oral surgeon, not the general dentist, as that would have been more sterile and thorough resulting in a less troublesome post op. Now you have to endure another surgery. Why was it done this way?

It is important to keep ALL of your teeth clean so that plaque does not accumulate on them as the build up of plaque will lead to further infection. Do not brush the extraction site itself, just all of your other teeth. Rinse 3-4 times a day with warm salt water to help flush the debris from the wound. Do not use mouthwash as the chemicals are not therapeutic and will irritate the oral tissue.

It would be wise to see if the oral surgeon can get you in sooner while you are taking the antibiotics as they would help with the surgery and post op healing.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogagirl View Post
Also, I have a partially erupted, compacted and decayed wisdom tooth which is behind the extraction site and due to be extracted by an oral surgeon at the end of May; could this be the cause of the infection? Thanks again!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
boogagirl (05-08-2015)