View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Paulyfred,

You can send me a private message with the email address of the dentist.

FYI... it is not standard protocol to put all dental patients on antibiotics when a tooth is removed unless the patients health is at risk... or the tooth is infected and there is suspicion that the bone is infected as well. In your case based on all that you have written here, I strongly suspect that the tooth was infected and the bone was compromised from the infection. So I do not know why your dentist did not prescribe antibiotics at the time of the extraction. With that said, the antibiotics would have only been useful if all infected tissue and bone were removed at the time of the extraction and there is no telling if your dentist performed that debridement or not.

The problem with waiting is that bacteria can cause the gum tissue to die and if that happens you would require additional surgeries to attempt to replace that tissue. If this were happening to me, I would get the area evaluated asap. If you feel it would be wise to see the periodontist that you are familiar with and get his opinion, then go with that. Have all of your pre and post op xrays sent to him so they are there for your appointment.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyfred View Post
Hi Bryanna,
Thank you so much. I'm not certain if he's not taking it seriously.
However I was concerned after reading online that for many people it was standard protocol to implement antibiotics which he didn't do. I has the tooth extracted and bone graft done on April 20 which was a Monday. On that Saturday I noticed it was red and puffy. I called his cell phone and he called in amoxicillin to the pharmacy. I took that for 6 days. I saw him that Monday and it did look better. However its got darker and has an indentation.

My dilemma is should I schedule with him to see what he wants to do? Or should I just scheduled with someone else and tell him I'm getting a second opinion.
Money is not an issue when it comes to my health. My dental coverage doesn't cover this anyway.

There is a practice that I had to take my daughter to for gingivectomy. They were excellent but very expensive.I am going to list their website so you can let me know if they have the proper credentials. They specialize in dental implants.

They would not let me post the link.
*edit*

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote