View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 12:16 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Dry Socket dressing coming out

I had a lower back molar removed 11 days ago. The oral surgeon packed it with a dry socket dressing (yellow gauze with clove oil) immediately after removal (as a precaution) and stitched the socket. I had some mild (but constant) pain, mostly in my ear and temple, beginning at about day 3. I was told that I have dry socket, but luckily, due to the dressing, I never felt the level of pain typically associated with it.

One week after the extraction, I had my post op visit. The stitch was removed and the dressing was changed. I had some pain the following day (day 8), but then I was fine after that. I had the dressing changed yet again yesterday (day 10), and I am scheduled to have it removed for good on Monday (day 14…. which is in three days).

My problem is that the dressing placed yesterday is starting to come out and my oral surgeon is out of town for a long weekend. I was told to push it back in with a Q-tip if that happened, but it just won't stay put when I do that and I don't want to keep aggravating the area. I am worried about getting the severe pain of dry socket if the dressing comes out completely though.

I have been without pain (with the dressing in) for the past couple days, so is it likely that I am healed enough that it will not be too bad if it does come out? I read that the way to know when a dressing is ready to be removed is when the patient does not have pain with it still in place. Is that correct? Or should I call the number of the oral surgeon covering for my doc in case of emergency and have it replaced? It's not an emergency as of now, so I hate to do that if it is not necessary.

I am also concerned about leaving the dressing in loosely, the way it is now. Can food particles or just general bacteria from my mouth get in the socket? I feel like the dressing is not in there well enough to seal out any debris, but yet because it is there, I cannot clean the socket as I would if there was no dressing. I am afraid to eat or drink anything other than water.

I just don't know what to do--

1. Keep trying to push it back in and aggravate the socket?….

2. Call the emergency # to have the dressing replaced when it is not an emergency as of now, and just to possibly have that one fall out too?….

3. Leave it loose and do nothing unless it comes out and I have severe pain (and if I do that, is it okay to eat? How do I ensure that the socket will not get anything "bad" in it that cannot be flushed out)??

I apologize for the long message. I appreciate any input!
Tlc003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote