View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 12:35 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi boogagirl,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here.

Based on your description, the dentist did not complete the extraction as he left a piece of the tooth in the socket and that is what is most likely causing the infection. Antibiotics cannot cure this infection because the piece of tooth is covered in bacteria and it is keeping the infection alive.

The decayed partially impacted wisdom tooth is also contributing to the infection. It is a shame that both teeth were not removed at the same time by the oral surgeon, not the general dentist, as that would have been more sterile and thorough resulting in a less troublesome post op. Now you have to endure another surgery. Why was it done this way?

It is important to keep ALL of your teeth clean so that plaque does not accumulate on them as the build up of plaque will lead to further infection. Do not brush the extraction site itself, just all of your other teeth. Rinse 3-4 times a day with warm salt water to help flush the debris from the wound. Do not use mouthwash as the chemicals are not therapeutic and will irritate the oral tissue.

It would be wise to see if the oral surgeon can get you in sooner while you are taking the antibiotics as they would help with the surgery and post op healing.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Bryanna

Thanks for replying Bryanna. I don't think I made my situation that clear so I'll try to clear up a few things here:

Mid April, tooth was extracted

2 days later return to same dentist, irrigated and packed

2 days later return again, told had dry socket, bone scraped and hole packed

3 days later, in agony went to different dentist as mine was closed, they did xray and saw piece of tooth left and suctioned it out, irrigated and dressed wound.

Week later, returned to new dentist, he confirmed no infection, put bit more antiseptic in and advised to leave alone to heal.

10 days later, fleshy lump and throbbing appear. Go to old dentist as new one is on holiday and he confirms infection. Gives me 5 day course of 500mg amoxicillin. I am on day 2 of the course now.

I don't know why the two teeth weren't arranged for extraction at the same time by the oral surgeon who is due to attend to the wisdom tooth at the end of May. I think he wanted to fill the now extracted tooth but it was too deeply decayed. He struggled with the extraction.

The extraction site is fully healed over as in there is no visible hole just a spongy area that is swollen and pus filled. I have put photos for you to see. It seemed to heal over the top of the hole within 5-7 days of the last visit to the new dentist, is this too quick? I am wondering if it over healed and some food etc was left in the hole causing my new infection?

Am I likely to get another infection when this clears as there may be food etc inside? Should the lump be lanced? Also the wisdom tooth won't be out for some weeks. I don't think I can get in any sooner but am going to try!

I am brushing my teeth twice a day and have started rinsing again with salt water. I have recently started gently brushing around the extraction site and over the bump, should I stop this?

My main concern is a recurring infection and if this is dangerous? I am otherwise in good health, don't drink very often and don't smoke.

I do need 2 fillings on the opposite side of the mouth which are booked in, I would have had them sooner but my mouth has been through a lot

Still have niggling pain at the moment, no temp or other swelling and the pus lump has reduced slightly in size and redness. I do feel rather tired and my arms are aching.

Thanks for you advice in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Infection after extraction 3 weeks ago-20150506_194952-1-1-jpg   Infection after extraction 3 weeks ago-20150506_202554-1-jpg  
boogagirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote