View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Nikki,

The original dentist may not have cleaned out the socket adequately and/or the infection was more extensive than he diagnosed. I think the partially impacted wisdom tooth is also partly to blame as it too may be infected as bacteria and food debris has been seeping in and living underneath that flap of tissue covering part of the wisdom tooth for months or even years. The depth of that bacteria has not be determined but that tooth could actually be locking in the infection. Also with the extraction of the molar and then each scraping of that area more bacteria has been getting stirred up. That is why I asked you why both teeth were not removed at the same time as that may have avoided this problem. But because the general dentist is not trained to remove the wisdom tooth he just took out the molar and had a hard time doing that.

A general dentist is not trained to remove partially impacted wisdom teeth especially those that are infected. They don't have the experience or proper instruments to handle this type of extraction. An oral surgeon is extensively trained and experienced with these extractions and the infection that is brewing there.

There are other risk issues associated with this type and location of infection of which I am not going to get too deeply into here. But the longer you wait the more likely may need an incision and drainage prior to the removal of the wisdom tooth if the infection and swelling gets much worse.

I hope I have explained the problem clearly. If not, let me know.

Bryanna

Thanks Bryanna.

So what is causing the infection 2 weeks after the tooth that was left behind has been sucked out? How will an oral surgeon treat this differently to a general denist? What else will they do other than offer me antibiotics if there is nothing else left in the hole? Sorry for so many questions but I am worried now.[/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote