View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 01:21 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftTalker View Post
Yikes! I purchased the book The Wahls Protocol which was recommended reading for people with PN, autoimmune illnesses, MS, etc.

OMG

I don't know. That diet looks so complicated. So extremely limiting. Also expensive.

My docs haven't said anything (yet) about my diet except to limit carbs.

I am contemplating the Atkins, eliminating carbs almost completely.

Has anyone here adjusted their diet and seen results?

I have added B12 supplement, soaking feet in Epsom salt, trying to be as active as I can (difficult with my other illness, myasthenia gravis), and cutting down on carbs.

Anyone here used/using the Wahls Protocol?

Or Paleo diet?

Any Insight? Results?

Thanks in advance for any input.

SoftTalker
aka
SoftWalker

I've been on a Paleo/Primal style diet for years. I basically don't eat grains, dairy or legumes. To be more specific, for me, this diet means I eat whole foods and I don't eat sugar. I only have an occasional non-gluten grain (rice), I eat lots of vegetables, and my carbohydrate amount depends on my level of activity. I was eating this way before I got sick, so I can't say how it's impacted my symptoms. I do notice if I eat slightly off my diet template, I don't feel so great. It also made me realize that I have sensitivities to artificial sweeteners.

There are 3 levels of the Wahls diet depending on what level of strict you are will to adhere to. All of us on this forum are looking for answers as to what is causing our medical problems. I think trying an elimination diet (Wahls, Paleo, No Sugar No Grains, GAPs etc) for a period of time certainly can't hurt. And it might help get a few more vegetables into your life - there are worse things!

I don't feel like any of these diets are necessarily more expensive, unless you are currently eating all processed foods out of a box. Where they do get expensive is when you start trying to buy more quality meat and vegetables. If someone can't afford this, then I feel that they shouldn't worry about it and it will not stand in the way of a healthy diet. There are always strategies to cut costs - hunting, fishing, growing a garden, buying organic for only the "dirty dozen", shopping at Aldi, Costco, Walmart, or Farmers Markets, stop eating at restaurants etc. There are also some good blogs out there about how to do Paleo on a budget.

The one good thing I would say about the Wahls diet is that it has been professionally analyzed for nutrient content. So if you are to do her strictest diet (Ketosis diet), you won't have to worry about being short on nutrients, which is more than I can say about some of the other Ketosis diets that have been put out there by medical institutions.
madisongrrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SoftTalker (05-09-2015)