View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Tlc,

A dry socket occurs when the clot has not formed properly or the clot was disturbed soon after the surgery. Dry socket means dry bone and as you can imagine that is why it hurts so much. Initially the medicated packing put into the socket disinfects the bone and keeps it moist but after the first week the packing slows down the natural healing. So if you can leave out the packing at this point it would be better. Just do the salt water rinses 3-4 times a day. There is no reason to overdue it with those rinses and too much of a good thing can actually irritate the tissue.

The problem with keeping the loose packing in the socket is that it is collecting bacteria from your saliva and holding it there. So it's like having a loose blanket over your arm while your arm is submerged in water. The water is going to get in underneath that blanket and keep your arm wet. Did I explain that clearly?

At this stage of healing, you can apply one drop of clove oil to the socket if you develop pain but again be cautious with using that and only use one drop. Do not fill the socket or use it too often.

If breathing in air makes the area painful then you can place a piece of sterile gauze over the socket. But again that gauze will trap bacteria from your saliva. So let the lose packing fall out and then if you can do nothing to it but rinse your mouth with salt water that would be best.

Go see the dental assistant on monday for a quick peek. Chances are she will just leave it alone.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlc003 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. I did call the on-call oral surgeon and he told me if it comes out to just rinse with salt water 4-5x's a day. I have definitely NOT been eating on that side of my mouth, I have been worried about eating at all. I have been using salt water rinses after meals and prescription mouthwash at bedtime as instructed by my oral surgeon on the day of extraction. Will that be enough to keep it clean now that the packing is so loose?

Another concern I have is that I am scheduled to have the dressing removed for good on Monday morning by one of the nurses. The surgeon will still be out of town, and no one at all will be in the office on Tuesday. Do you think it is best to have all dressings out of the socket ASAP (Monday, if it doesn't fall out before then), or do you think I should request to have it packed one more time and have it out on Wednesday, when the surgeon will be back in the office? ….What I am really asking is do you think 2 weeks is long enough for the site to heal to the point that I will likely only have tolerable pain, or do you think there is a good chance I could have severe pain once the dressing is removed?

If I do get typical (severe) dry socket pain, is there a way to ease it at home until I can get in to see someone? Should I maybe go buy some clove oil? Does salt water help it at all? Would it be safe to bite on some sterile gauze to "block" the socket from the air?

I appreciate all of your help!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote