View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Magnate

8 yr Member
Magnate

8 yr Member
Cool Smirk

BDNF,

Firstly, humans are not mice. Many/most TBI sufferers also suffer from mobility impairments and other disabilities after their accident.

While I have looked at the studies and scholarly papers, I find an overriding caveat - that exercise should be 'safe', built up gradually and started under the care of a Physician.

I point you in the direction of the Paper: Exercise After TBI: Is It A Double-Edged Sword? By Grace Griesbach PhD. Here is a clip from the Summary:

Results of human and animal studies suggest that premature postconcussive exercise may be deleterious by exacerbating postconcussive symptomatology and disrupting restorative processes. A better understanding of the mechanisms that influence exercise after TBI will contribute to improving guidelines for the return to exercise activities and to the successful use of exercise as a therapeutic tool.
Quote.

I am an ABI sufferer, with a large lesion in the Occipital part of my brain causing double vision, and multiple White Matter Lesions throughout my brain shown by MRI. I am currently waiting for results to be forwarded and interpreted by a second Dr as my Neuro was less than forthcoming. I have multiple spine/neck/cord injuries, Neurological Hypersensitivity and heart issues which mean I cannot exercise, and while I take certain vitamins, high doses and D supplements are closed to me due to contra-indications.

Yet I would love to be able to do everything to protect - even improve the health - of my brain. It is where 'I' live. That is what every Member here feels, they come seeking advice and knowledge and reassurance that they are going to recover from the terrible event that brought them here. Don't think everyone sits and lets the World wash over them. Being a Member of this wonderful Forum, linking up with peers, is often the start of the fight back to recovery.

Dave.
To the shapes we now possess.

The Sage - Emerson, Lake & Palmer.
EnglishDave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (05-12-2015), SweetC (05-11-2015)